Sunday, September 30, 2012

Differences between England and Virginia by Skye


There are many differences between England and Virginia. Some words are different.  Some types of land are different, there is more countryside over there than here. It is more sunny, less rainy, the weather is nice a lot, but maybe a bit hot!

There are some differences in school too. We ride a school bus, while you guys ride a public bus (says my parents). We have specials, library, music class, art class, extra maths, and we alternate through guidance and gifted every week. Summer vacation is different also. We get out earlier for summer, you go back to school later than us. Our reading class is called ‘Language Arts’. What’s yours? Our maths is called math. We don’t add on the s at the end. Our playtime is called ‘recess’. I know yours is called playtime. At least, it was when I went to school there. Another thing different about England and VA (Virginia) is the accents. If we say ‘r’, for instance, it would sound kind of like the growling of a dog. Grrr! But yours sound like ‘o’. Not ‘oh’, the proper name. ‘O’. The names of our schools are different too. ‘Primary school’, and ‘elementary school’. Or ‘secondary school’ and ‘middle school’. Those two make sense. Our next school is called ‘high school’, what’s yours?

Honestly, I think your books are better than ours. Ours are rather good, a lot of them are rubbish though. Have any of you heard of Warriors by Erin Hunter? One of my friends there has, so I figured some of you would. Heard of Redwall by Brian Jacques? I expect you’ve heard of Enid Blyton. If you haven’t, she is a British author and I love her books!

I hope this post was enjoyable!
-Skye

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE Enid Blyton books!
    The books i've read:
    ♥Malory towers
    ♥St Claires
    ♥The wishing chair
    A high school is a secondary school to let you know!
    Also you say 'Zee' and we say 'Zed'.
    Do you have a Americain accent? I have a strong English accent.
    I know you've heard of the Olympics and Paralimpics, the stadium was REALLY near to us!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My top 5 Olympians
    1] Usain Bolt
    2] Jessica Ennis
    3] Oscar Pistorius
    4] Yoan Blake
    5] Mo Farah
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I hoped you enjoyed my ENGLISH post ☺‼
    ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    From Joni-Lulu ~ UK ~ England ~ London

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usain Bolt is very fast,tall, and strong. Did you guys watch the Olympics? Do you like England soccer they are really good. Do you like Wayne Rooney?


      From Andrew
      From Broadus Wood












      Delete
    2. Andrew just told me that Rooney plays for Manchester United. Even I have heard of them!
      Mrs. Techman

      Delete
  2. By the way the time is: 18:00 or 6 o'clock ♥
    Joni-Lulu

    ReplyDelete
  3. what is it about?


    Caz and Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skye I know about Virginia but what's some tourist attractions in England?

    Skyler

    ReplyDelete